Tuesday, February 16, 2010

February (Part 3) Voice in the Wind (#1 in the Mark of the Lion series)


I first heard of Francine Rivers my junior of high school, a family friend recommended Redeeming Love to me. Redeeming Love has since become one of my top 5 books, one that I have read and read and read again. Francine Rivers began her career as a Romance novelist before becoming a Christian, this style of writing can still be found throughout her books (just look at the book cover!). I tried additional Francine Rivers books (The Atonement Child) but none were quite as satisfying as Redeeming Love. I finally decided to give Francine Rivers another try and purchased the first book in this Trilogy. A Voice in the Wind takes place in Rome after Jesus Christ was crucified, it follows the story of Haddash, a young girl stripped of her freedom and family when Jerusalem was taken over by Rome. After Haddash's journey from Jerusalem she ends up the slave of a wealthy Roman family, chosen to serve the spoiled but beautiful young daughter. Haddash's journey as a slave witnessing the constant downturn in morality and decisions made by this affluent family reflects her inner-struggle to serve in love and stay true to her faith while abstaining from the sinful nature of Rome. The book reflects love outside of romance commenting on the role of servant-ship and love through grace. While set in ancient Rome the story has a strong modern day appeal in the description of the amoral world of promiscuity, drunkenness, idols and greed, it causes you to stop and wonder "is this the world I live in?" Between the Gladiator fights, festivals, love stories and inner struggles this book was a page turner, I finished it in less than week. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of #2 and #3 in my mailbox to continue on this journey...

No comments:

Post a Comment