Thursday, February 4, 2010

February (Part 1): The Catcher and the Rye



I've been on this kick of reading all the books I should have read in high school but for one reason or another am only now discovering. The next book on that list was Catcher and the the Rye, a book thrown into the spotlight once again with the recent death of its author J.D. Salinger. The timing of this read-through could not have been better - after finishing this book I have read article after article about the crazy recluse Salinger became. In fact one of my favorite articles comes from Slate "My Adventures Answering J.D. Salinger's Mail," (http://www.slate.com/id/2243299/pagenum/all/) which looks at J.D. Salinger in his later days from an employee in his publisher's office. I can see why Catcher and the Rye is idolized in such a way, it is unique and offers a perspective we have all had at least once (or should at least consider having at some point). My heart broke for Holden each time he got "depressed," offering an authentic view of the world and its harsh truth often revealed. Being surrounded by phonies, questioning the purpose of school and responsibility in general lead to an entertaining point of view on the occurrences in your own life. Is this book my new favorite classic? No. Did I enjoy it and find it to live up to its reputation? Yes. If you haven't read it - it's time.

No comments:

Post a Comment