Sunday, November 22, 2009

November: Notes from a Small Island


I just finished reading "Notes from a Small Island" by Bill Bryson. Bill is an American living in Britian as a writer for multiple publications. Bill spent the better part of 2 months touring around the UK, visiting the small villages and the nontourist sites unique to the Brits. After a summer spent in the London, I am forever wishing to be a Brit myself. Bill's commentary on all things British offers a comical view on British culture from an American's point of view, complete with explanation of terminology and historical reference points. Not only were the locations discussed fascinating but I truly felt like I was on the journey with him. Not only do I want to go back to the UK but now I want to travel throughout by public transport hitting up the side villages and truly engrossing myself into the culture and nuances found only in the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment